renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > NOTHING LIKE A GOOD BOOK ...
Login | Register

NOTHING LIKE A GOOD BOOK ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 12th, 2001 04:20 PM
In reply to CONCRETE BLOCK CONSTRUCTION by RANDY BURGESS on January 12th, 2001 04:01 PM [Go to top of thread]

HI RANDY,

CHECK OUT THIS BOOK - Masonary Construction. IT MIGHT BE WHAT YOU WANT.

NOW, BEFORE YOU GET TOO FAR, ONCE YOU'VE LAYED THE BLOCK, ARE YOU GOING TO NEED ANY TIPS ON HOW TO FRAME THE HOUSE? IF SO, NOW'S THE TIME TO ASK. OF COURSE, SINCE IT TOO WOULD BE SUCH A BROAD QUESTION FOR ME TO ANSWER, I'D MOST LIKELY REFER YOU TO A BOOK.

AS FOR ANY TIPS, MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT 'MIX' FOR LAYING BLOCK. AND THAT INCLUDES THE RIGHT MIX FOR THE WEATHER OUTSIDE. MARK OUT YOUR FIRST ROW TO BE SURE YOU 'END UP' WHERE YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO END UP. THERE'S NOTHING LIKE FINDING OUT YOUR LAST BLOCK IS 1/3rd OF THE WAY OFF THE FOOTING! YOU'LL NEED PLENTY OF LEVELING STRING. KEEP CHECKING THE STRING BEFORE AND AFTER EACH ROW, OR YOU'LL END UP NOT BEING STRAIGHT RIGHT QUICKLY.

THERE ARE MORE TIPS BUT I'LL LEAVE THEM FOR THE PROS (AND THE BOOK.) MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.

JAY J -MODERATOR

PS: PLEASE USE THE TRADITIONAL LOWER-CASE 'MIXING' OF LETTERS WHEN YOU TYPE. ALL-CAPITALS GIVE ME A HEADACHE WHEN READING. (I KNOW, I DON'T HAVE TO READ/ANSWER YOUR POST BUT THE POST IS HERE ...) I WROTE IN ALL-CAPS BECAUSE I ASSUMED THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE ENOUGH OF A 'PROBLEM' IN READING LOWER-CASE LETTERING. MY ASSUMPTION COULD BE WRONG BUT WHAT DO I KNOW. (I HAVE A 50-50 CHANCE OF BEING RIGHT IN THAT YOU NEED ALL-CAPS TO READ WHAT'S BEEN WRITTEN.)
PPS: HAVE A NICE DAY AND GOOD LUCK W/YOUR PROJECT!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC