> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > not worth it, plus your bill sounds low to me...
Login | Register

not worth it, plus your bill sounds low to me...

Posted by jb on April 18th, 2001 11:31 AM
In reply to Does putting my spa heater on a timer save energy? by Kevin on April 18th, 2001 01:33 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, If you have a decent unit that is well insulated, and you have a thick top insulating cover, then it probably doesn't use that much electricity. If you turn it down, you will then need to heat it back up and this probably would take 6-12 hours to accomplish and end up not really saving you diddly. Check out this page:
At the bottom there is a chart showing elec. costs per month. San Diego is listed as $10.64 per month with a $0.08 per kilowat hour rate. Even if your rates are double this it is around $20 per month. If you are really concerned about it then you would be better off fashioning some sort of additional insulation on all sides of it rather than turning it down to get questionable savings and less usability. Your big culprits are your water heater (double insulate/wrap it), your furnace and blower (turn it down), stove, dishwasher, and washer dryer (use at night on lower settings), if you have one (huge elec. use).
I would jump up and down celebrating if I ever got an electricity bill as low as yours! I live in a particular area of the Northeast that has high rates (always has) and have a modest house with oil heat and elec. everything else (no AC) and my bill runs about 50% higher than yours, on average. PLus I have to buy oil and firewood ($1,000+/yr.).

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC