> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Not uncommon to find
Login | Register

Not uncommon to find

Posted by Moderator, Steve on February 3rd, 2003 04:21 PM
In reply to Roof drip edge/eave mess by Karen on February 3rd, 2003 03:46 PM [Go to top of thread]

the piggy backed facia boards. I really like them because when I unexpectantly find that and I am on a job replacing facia, a double means that you do not have to splice directly one half on a rafter tail. You can essentially splice anywhere along the line. So a double is really good, however.

creating a duck tail on the end is NOT good. If it is creating a trough then you need to fix that. The metal drip edge actually is over the tar paper and under the shingles and overhanged a bit to cover the facia boards and snug down over the side of that facia. There is a up and a down side on drip edges, check it out if you did not know that.

Now, the fall of the roof or the pitch should be maintained all the way down the roof to the gutter. There should be about an inch or less of shingles overhanging the facia board and to let the water drip off the shingles directly into the gutter trough.

Now, to fix your situation where the outer facia is higher than the below facia and causing a curl in the roof at that area is not good.

Is it all around the home? I am sure that some places are worse than others, but I would take off the drip edge, the outer facia, and of course the gutters and nail that outer facia properly to the area as to create a nice easy fall.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC