> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > not styrofoam - use this stuff
Login | Register

not styrofoam - use this stuff

Posted by JB on June 28th, 2000 11:08 AM
In reply to exterior trim and details made of styrofoam by Jack on June 27th, 2000 07:18 PM [Go to top of thread]

I wouldn't buy anything out of styrofoam, it is too weak. The only styrofoam I have ever seen used was under a synthetic stucco spray application for whole-house exteriors, not detail work.

I have seen foam filled door trim and misc. mouldings in home supply lumber yards. This stuff is pretty cheap and is not for high-end use and it would probably break down outside.

What you need is high density polyurethane mouldings etc.. The best source I have seen for stuff like this is They actually make most of the stuff they sell. This is as high up on the food chain that you can buy as a home owner or builder. It is rare that you can purchase like this without getting fleeced by middle men. I have bought all kinds of stuff from them over the years and have never had a problem. You should get their actual catalogues, in addition to what you see on the web because they have a lot more stuff on paper and it is a good reference for future stuff you might need.

Good Luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC