> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Not Steve Jones
Login | Register

Not Steve Jones

Posted by Henry in MI on September 6th, 2000 09:48 PM
In reply to Once an idiot.... by Steve Jones on September 6th, 2000 06:49 PM [Go to top of thread]

Sorry, but you are wrong and this is easy to prove. If you are right, then you should be able to take a piece of wood, put mineral spirits based stain on it and get deep stain penetration. The mineral spirits should carry the stain deeply into the porous wood according to your theory. Try this and you will find that the stain stays on the surface. Sand the stained wood and note how quickly it comes off. When you stain, the mineral spirits evaporates into the air. It does not go into the wood.

If you think that the age of the wood has something to do with it, you are also wrong. The moisture content may have a little to do with it. The wood coming out of a kiln today is at 6-8% moisture. Wood a hundred years ago was not kiln dried and has never seen that low a moisture content. Wood does not get more porous with age.

You might note that I usually refer people to the label directions and advise them to pay special attention to safety and flammability warnings. I did in this case too. I would be happy to include your safety comments if they were true or made sense. They do not.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC