> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Not quite the same problem
Login | Register

Not quite the same problem

Posted by Another JIm on March 17th, 2002 01:02 PM
In reply to removing lineoleum floor by Betty Raiford on October 2nd, 2000 10:15 AM [Go to top of thread]

We bought a house that was originally built in 1945, according to the papers. But it's had several changes, add-ons, etc., done since then. No idea when any of these were done.

Here's the thing, there's an enclosed back porch that once was open. The floor looks like two layers of tongue-in-groove, per your average outside porch. Then when it was closed in, someone put a layer of linoleum over the wood.

They used an aluminum storm door for entry. This storm door apparently leaked through some of its seams. Water got under the (IMPROPERLY APPLIED) linoleum, rotting the floorboards inside the door.

Now I want to take out this lino AND the rotted wood, and replace it all with plywood and whatever finish we decide on. (NOT lino!)

But I can't get this old stuff off the wood, except where it had already started to peel. Do I need to just rip out wood and all, or is there something that will help get the lino off first? If so, I might just be able to cut out the rotten section and only have to replace that.

Help! Email ASAP!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC