> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Not Pretty ...
Login | Register

Not Pretty ...

Posted by Jay J on April 18th, 2000 10:25 AM
In reply to painting basement floor tile by cindi singraber on April 18th, 2000 09:47 AM [Go to top of thread]

I know this is a hard question to ask but if you could tell us more about the 'texture' of the tile's surface, we might be able to say more about what to do in terms of preparation. In the absence of this info, I'm gonna assume in terms you can understand, that the tile on your floor has the same 'finish' as the tile on your bathroom walls. (Fired & Glazed ...)

The surface would need to be 'etched' in order to hold paint. Its smooth surface prevents the tile from absorbing anything. (Hence, the purpose/use of tile on our bathroom wall, kitchen floor, et al..) Once you prime and paint the tile, you've turned a virtually maintenance-free material into one that requires maintenance. Walking on paint floor is kinda an oxy-moron (to me.) And believe me, you'll be painting it often. (Imagine all those layers on it after a few years. It's gonna feel like you're walking on gum ...) It's another thing to do what you want to do to wall tile but you'd still have a wall that would require, well, maintenance when it didn't at one time.

Personally, I don't think the results are going to be what you want, plus, last like you want. If you want a quick-fix in order to buy some time, purchase a cheap rug for the day. If you do this, you need to be conscious of the fact that the carpet backing will scratch the tile's finish (assuming you may want to keep it or at least reconsider your 'options'.) To prevent the scratching, you need to buy the rubberized carpet backing. It can be found in its own packaging with the area rugs. It's used all the time with area rugs that are layed on hardwood floors to protect them from being scratched from carpeting that's layed over them. It comes in different sizes and lengths and all. You may need to buy a few packages to cover the floor. Just measure the area you want to cover before you go to the store. (You don't necessarily have to cover the WHOLE floor with carpet. Consider leaving the perimeter exposed.)

Others may suggest you 'go for it' but I stand by my advice. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC