> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Not Hard; Just Time Consuming ...
Login | Register

Not Hard; Just Time Consuming ...

Posted by Jay J on March 29th, 1999 09:19 AM
In reply to Asbestos Shingle Removal by Glen Moran on March 28th, 1999 11:07 AM [Go to top of thread]

I've only vinly-sided my own home which had asbestos, cement shingles on it. I hired my nephew and my Dad (where my Dad worked for 'free') and rented some scaffolding. I rented the scaffolding because I was doing the vinly right afterwords.

Anyway, we removed one shingle at a time being careful NOT to break them. Some broke anyway. We wore long sleeves and long pants and hats and gloves and surgical masks (NOT a woodshop dust mask). We wet the shingles as we worked our way around the house. We used flat-nosed pliars to pull out the nails. At worst, you could carefully 'crack' the shingle if you needed to use something else to pull out the nail. The nails we had were more like double-pointed tacks that, when they were hit, they would flange-out from each other. These tacks were expecially made for this job, and there were thin and easy to pull out. However, there were spots where they used nails.

We stacked the shingles on the scaffolding as we worked, again, being careful not to break them. It took the 3 of us 12 hours to remove 22 squares (2200 sq ft) of them. We staked them in the driveway for disposal in a dumpster later on. You see, we did ALL the demolition and the vinyl installation BEFORE we rented the dumpster. This way, the neighbors wouldn't fill my dumpster with their 'junk' while I slept. Also, it was cheaper because it didn't sit in the driveway for more than 3 days. AND, I made sure that I was home when it arrived and I filled it with all my junk first. The next day, neighbors asked if they could throw some junk in it too. I said the had to wait until I was finished filling it with some 'odds-and-ends', and they can give me $10 to toss some stuff it it. They were happy and their $$$ helped a little to pay for the dumpster.

When you rent your dumpster, if you have an asphalt or concrete driveway, cut up some 6' long 2x10's for the dumpster to sit on. Otherwise, the dumpster's weight won't be distributed very well and it may sink in the asphalt or crack your driveway due to a lot of weight. You'll see what I mean about the weight once you start having to lift up 20 shingles 5' into the air to load into the dumpster!!! I got a dumpster that had a FULL door on 1 side. I used a wheel barrow and walked right up a ramp into the dumpster. Once I got close to where the door might not close, I closed it and had to heave-ho the rest over the top. I did a roof at the time too so the old fiberglass shingles went in there too. Plus, some old insulation, concrete chunks, logs, rusted metal, and so on. Oh, before I forget, make sure you tell the hauler what you're putting in the dumpster. If you tell him trash and they find out it's stuff like asbestos shingles, you'll be in deep doo-doo.

There are other things I can mention but my fingers are getting tired from the 'walk'. If you have any more particual ?'s, e-mail me directly. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC