> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Not Going To Happen ...
Login | Register

Not Going To Happen ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on December 22nd, 2001 11:07 AM
In reply to Posters by Jim on December 21st, 2001 09:32 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Jim,

As I wrote down below (in 'Hey Guys'), when you migrate software from 1 platform to another, you end up 'retiring' the 1st platform. You don't run 'duplicate sites'.

Try to see it from another angle - ( is the Home Page. THAT'S what's important. If you or anyone makes 'shortcuts' to some deep and dark 'location' on the WEB site, you run the risk of it not working at some point because of a computer change, or whatever. will ALWAYS work if you bookmark it. And if you click from there, you'll NEVER know that there was a migration to another computer or the addition of MULTIPLE computers to support the site. It DOESN'T matter if the IP Address for the Home Page is, or anything else. It's transparent to the User. will ALWAYS work in the Location / Address field in the Browser, and if you click from there, you'll never have any problems. And there wouldn't be any need on your part to 'change' how or where you click. For all you (or I) know, the 'main' stuff is on 1 Server and the 2 Forums are on another. Maybe each Form has its OWN Server. It doesn't matter because you click the URLs to get around. Bookmarking them leaves you open to 'side effects' of locations moving around.

I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm just trying to explain the computer-ease about what it means to migrate to new Servers, multiple Servers, and the like. You CAN'T leave the 'old site' running at the same time the new one is running. And as I mentioned, 'we' received 2 Warnings of the move. This, in all it's meaning, implies that the links you had before MAY, or may NOT, work after the migration. Hopefully, this helps explain what happened. I'm sure no one 'feels' any better about what happened w/them but the GOOD news is you're here!!! And all you did to get here was start with as your main link. THEN, you can bookmark a link to the BBS (but there are no guarantees that it won't work for you in the future.) It's just the nature of working w/computers. Once again, you can bookmark whatever pages you want to get around more easily. And the next time a bookmark doesn't work, you'll have to get 'here' the hard way, and bookmark again. No problem - You know how to get here ...

Happy Holidays to one and all, and have a safe one!

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• Test by Dodgeman  12/21/01 12:37 PM
  • Posters by Jim  12/21/01 09:32 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC