> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Not An Easy Job ...
Login | Register

Not An Easy Job ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 9th, 2001 02:36 PM
In reply to Finishing a roughed in basement bathroom by Steve on March 8th, 2001 06:45 PM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Hi Steve,

As you're already finding out, this is not an easy job. It would be 1 think if the basement had an UNFINISHED bathroom, but from the sounds of it you don't. Hence, there are code issues that you need to be aware of. Yes, the book would 'help' you with such 'things' but there's no substitute for the codes 'on the books' in YOUR jurisdiction. This is one reason there are Inspectors.

Also, if your basement is below grade, you may have an issue with backups. I mean, if your basement bathroom now becomes the LOW point in the 'plumbing system', it means that if there's a backup from the street or something, your new basement bathroom now becomes the 'path of least resistance' instead of the Breather Vent out in the front yard! It only gets more complicated from here IF this is the case. Now you're talking about insurance 'problems' if there's a backup, damage to personal property, one-way sewer valves, pressure-flush toilets, etc., etc., etc..

BUT, if you insist, you can visit the library and see if they subscribe to The Family Handyman Magazine. If not, one of your friends might get it. The magazine, for sure, does a bathroom remodel article with great pictures about every 2-3 years. They did one about 1+ years ago in a basement with a poured floor. I don't know if they addressed upflushing and backups from the street IF the bathroom is BELOW the vent pipe.

What I DO suggest is that you consider hiring out a professional plumber as a Consultant. Perhaps, for a fee, (one that's less than doing the work himself), he'll design and advise you on this job. It should cost you less to pay him in this 'manner' if you're handy and have 'common sense' in this job. Other than this, you're left with books and MAYBE someone to ask a question or 2 about. I do wish you well.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC