> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Nonflammable contact cement
Login | Register

Nonflammable contact cement

Posted by Ralph on September 11th, 2000 09:47 AM

I am building some pedestals for a glass topped dining table. They are made of MDF and finished with Formica. Since I have recently moved and do not have a decent workshop yet I am having to do the work in my home, so to avoid the nasty fumes from contact cement I decided to try the non-flammable, neoprene rubber variety produced by DAPWeldwood. In use it is identicle to traditional contact cement, and I found that it bonded very well...on the first few pieces. On application of the third piece of laminate I found that the piece simply would not adhere to the base material. I had done everything exactly as I had on the previous pieces, and exactly as the instructions on the can indicate. There was no contamination of any kind on either surface. I ended up clamping the pieces for a couple hours and it seems to have done the trick. I just hope the laminate does not come popping off while my client is sitting at the dinner table.
The only thing I can think of is it had begun to rain while I was working and became rather humid. Could this have prevented the materials from bonding? Has anyone out there had any experience with this type of cement? Would regular contact cement have reacted the same way under humid conditions?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC