> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > NOLA drainage
Login | Register

NOLA drainage

Posted by Norm C on April 5th, 2001 11:17 PM
In reply to In Short, ... by Jay J -Moderator on April 3rd, 2001 11:35 AM [Go to top of thread]

My guess is that, in NOLA, heavy rain would saturate the 'dry' well, rendering it unable to accept the water that Lance needs to get rid of. Lance, if you are in NOLA, my recollection is that a large portion of the city is actually below sea level or near to it, and protected by a levee system. The NOLA pump system keeps the street drains and storm sewers working, by pumping the collected rainwater over the levee system. Having said all this, your best bet would probably be to run the rainwater drain pipe to the street, as you thought. To get the drain pipe under the sidewalk, Jay J gave you an idea of what's involved. I know that some folks along the Bayou Teche use a garden hose to gradually wash a channel under the sidewalk, but I can't recommend that method. In doing so, you might damage the foundation of the sidewalk. Jay J described the correct way to put the drain pipe under the sidewalk. You may also need to add some sand or soil to build up the low spots where the water is accumulating in front of your house. Then, go to Mother's and have a soft-shell crab po-boy and a cold Voo-doo for me, cher.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC