> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > noisy pipes
Login | Register

noisy pipes

Posted by Mark Crescitelli on June 29th, 1997 10:57 PM
In reply to Noisy Pipes - How do I fix them for GOOD! by Joe McIntyre on June 23rd, 1997 01:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 7 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post:
> Noisey Pipes by dmasher on 11/08/2004

The symptom you are describing is commonly known as " water hammer". This annoying situation is usually caused by two factors ; loose pipes in the house framing and/or water pressure slamming shut when the valve is closed. Although this is enough to drive you to the realtors, don't fret! First, try to secure all the accessible pipes to the framing. This may not be the cure, as the loose pipes may be located inside a wall space. If your water pressure exceeds 60psi, you should install a device known as a shock absorber. (Don't take one off the family car, it isn't the same thing...) When all else fails, a local plumber can remedy this problem. SILENCE IS GOLDEN...Good Luck!
Mark Crescitelli

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC