> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Noise
Login | Register

Posted by drhome on April 22nd, 1999 06:21 PM
In reply to Ok. Their made from galvanized steel. by Ron C on April 22nd, 1999 02:06 PM [Go to top of thread]

I should have also asked what kind of noise are we talking about. Rattle, whistle, squeak? Normally the ductwork is braced to prevent rattles and to hold down the expansion and contraction squeaks. It is also possible that the sound is not coming from the ductwork itself, but from the furnace. The first thing to try is to close the damper inside of the ductwork to the bedroom, if possible, and see what happens. Next, make sure that the exhaust portion is screwed securely to the joists. While the register is off, reach your hand down as far as it will go and see if there is something laying in or obstructing the ductwork. If it is a whistleing sound, try cutting a hole in the ductwork, at the furnace end, to decrease the velocity of flow. You can always patch over it with a piece of tin and caulking.

As far as putting something inside of the ductwork, the answer is no. If you coat the inside you will also be breathing it. I wish there was an easy solution, but you are going to be limited to checking out the two ends of the ductwork run since everything else is closed. As far as relocating the ductwork, I would not loose any sleep about affecting the flow of air. Most doors are left open during the day so the only time it will have a small effect will be at night with the door closed. Besides, the bedroom should be very cool when sleeping for your health. Hot air sleeping is not beneficial to your health..........

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC