> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > No One's Touched This Post Yet ...
Login | Register

No One's Touched This Post Yet ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 11th, 2001 08:35 AM
In reply to prehung doors by melody on January 10th, 2001 05:57 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Melody,

... So I'll try. Before I get too far, first, w/o seeing what your particular situation is, I'd suspect that in a mobile home, space is an issue. Pocket Doors (which is what you have) are designed to really do one thing - save space! Why you'd want to add a door that will take up space is of some interest. The only downside to a pocket door is that you can't hang pictures on the wall that 'hides' the door, nor can you install electrical or pluming or anything like that in the 'pocket' itself. So, w/o any further ado ...

First, I'm not an expert at mobile homes but I've hung a few doors. IF your 'opening' is a standard one, then you can buy a pre-hung door that's ready to install. Yes, take out the pocket door. You MAY need to do some demolition to 'accommodate' a standard door, like depending which way the door is to swing, you may need to 'stud-out' the wall so you can hang it, or put in a jam. And after you mentally go through all this, will you be able to 'finish' the walls and floor? If the paneling and/or flooring get damaged in the process, are they repairable/replacable to the degree that they look 'original'? This needs to be considered.

I know I didn't provide step-by-step instruction because I don't know exactly how to do it w/o seeing it. (Others may know what to write but I thought I'd bring to light some other 'things' before you start cutting and nailing.) Stick around! I'm sure others will have something to say. Oh, you may want to have a few pros come in anyways to price out the job. You may find that it's just as well to have him do it. (Are there any Maintenance People in the park that do side-work? If you're driving around and you see one, stop and ask.)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC