> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > No Fun ...
Login | Register

No Fun ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 27th, 2001 08:53 AM
In reply to Noisy vinyl siding by Dale on March 26th, 2001 01:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Dale,

I don't think my 'answer' will be to your liking. You can either change to a more solid type of siding, like shake or even brick, or plant some pine trees to 'break/slow-down' the wind (and wait 10 years or so before they are of any use.)

Vinyl siding has to installed somewhat 'loose' so it can move with the temperature changes. Since it's vinyl, it can't be restricted as it expands and contracts in the sun and cold. IF you nail it TIGHT to the house, it will buckle if it can't expand.

Your problem is an interesting one. Based on what little info you provided, I have to wonder if your home has a lot of 'leaks'. With that type of wind and your current state of 'loose siding', outside air has to be getting in unless you had a good Air Filtration Barrier installed before the siding went on. I have to ask but can you tell if the siding is making its noise with another piece of siding? Or is it 'banging' against the house, itself, and making the noise(s)?

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC