> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > newbie needs help - hardwood floors - stuff in bettween?
Login | Register

newbie needs help - hardwood floors - stuff in bettween?

Posted by loomis on October 3rd, 2003 06:08 PM

Hi there.

I live in an old old building. All hardwood floors. In between the floorboards is this stuff. Black and sometimes tan stuff. Used to fill the gaps.

Looks like this, with the "|'s" being the stuff:

beam|beam|beam|beam| etc...

Here is a photo:

Well that black stuff is in need of a refilling in several areas where it has chipped out. The missing areas are causing cold air to come up
from the storage area on the first floor.

What is that stuff? Caulking? Oakum? I imagine I'd need to put something in there that could expand and contract when the temperature changes.

I would need the stuff to be black. I do NOT want to have to do any sanding or staining whatever I put in there. I want to do this as cheaply as possible.

Thanks a bunch,


Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC