> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > new wood floor
Login | Register

new wood floor

Posted by nelita on October 23rd, 2002 07:33 PM
In reply to Wood floor and humidity by Harold Kestenholz - Hydronic Network on August 25th, 2000 11:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

I recently had an oak wood floor installed by a carpenter whom I've know for several years. Here are a list of problems:

1-I told the guy initially to replace the parquet floor just like the old one which was a herringbone style with mahogany trim.

2-He installed the floor in the regular boxed style. When I questioned it he said "oh well".

3-He has sanded the floor 3 times already to correct problems such as the marks of the wheels of a chair that he rolls around on and then again to take out bubbles and then again to smooth out bumps. The floor now has a sprayed look, not a clear glass look. Obviously he does not know what to do. I asked him if he was done with the floor the other day and can I put my stuff back in the room he said yes. Then I said oh, so you got the rough spots out? He then said well you have to look at it. He always says, "I can put another coat on it". Obviously additional coats are not working. He also says "I think its the wood". Is that possible? Could "the wood" be the problem and not him?

Now I'm noticing that some of the parquet is slightly buckled around the edges. It is now late fall and the weather is cool. I fear that when the summer comes the floor will buckle and loosen.

What should I do? I mean I should get a huge discount from this guy shouldn't I? I feel the floor needs to be completely resanded and done right. But doesn't sanding take away the lives of the floor. He sanded 3 times and it is not right. To sand again, isn't that too much for a new floor?

Help me please. Thanks : )

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC