> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > New over old...
Login | Register

New over old...

Posted by EdF on December 27th, 1999 08:03 AM
In reply to Is it possible to glue Formica/laminate panels on the top of old Formica? by TomR on December 27th, 1999 01:40 AM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Surface prep is the key! Sand the old surface with some medium/course sandpaper, being sure to hit EVERYWHERE. Also, be willing to remove the sink (you'll want the new surface UNDERNEATH the sink).
As for the stainless steel edge...
I seem to remember that these are a simple sheet metal cap, held in place with small finish nails. Why not remove these, and either put a laminate band on the front surface, or use a wood material for a real custom look?
Don't know about your skill level, but the idea of PRE-cutting a laminate (Formica) is not something I'd like to tackle.
I'd spend a little time at the library, as there's TONS of books on the subject of applying laminate. This link is also really good, and goes step-by-step through the process:

You might want to purchase/rent a router, and get a laminate trimming bit. For this type of work, you don't need a big expensive router, and can usually pick-up a simple 1/4" model for around $30. The bit is about $10, for a carbide-tipped, 2-bladed, roller-bearing, bit. Be sure to practice a little before you do the actual work.

Here's a couple other links that might be helpful:

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC