> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > New Homeowner with Chimney woes
Login | Register

New Homeowner with Chimney woes

Posted by Lynn on June 20th, 2001 07:51 PM

I recently purchased a home built in the 1920's. Before the previous owners sold it they put in a new gas boiler. Today I had the previous owners chimney company come and clean the chimney and they informed me that the flu was disintegrating. He showed me the soggy cement that should have been the lining. He also told me that I must put in stainless steel liner for $1200 and a custom cap for $250.00, because the "rigged" double cap that someone had installed was actually funneling water into my chimeney making the problem worse. He said he has seen the flus deteriorate when a new energy efficient boiler is put in because the condensation is not removed. Something like that. He also said that the carbon monoxide is very dangerous, so I need to do this repair right away to the tune of $1500.00. (I love how they assume that you have this kind of money just lying around waiting for the chimney to fall in! ) Anyway, I would love to know how critical this repair is (can I wait awhile?)and if I should seek second opinions, as I have no way to know if this is a resonable price for this repair. I live in Teaneck, New Jersey. Any comments will be much appreciated.

Lynn in Teaneck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC