> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > New Home Owners blues, (Geo Therm system)
Login | Register

New Home Owners blues, (Geo Therm system)

Posted by Andrew Conrad on August 25th, 2003 09:19 AM

Hi all,

We just bought a home in Iowa Park Texas, where the temp has been over 100 for the last month or so. When we moved in we noticed it was a little warm in the house, but figured it was just catching up.

Well, having been here a week, we now know that the GeoTherm Heating and Air is just not keeping up. The only room that stays cool is the Kitchen. All other rooms heat up to about 85 during a 100 degree day, then at night cool down to 72ish. The unit does turn off at night. Then it comes back on about 9:30 and starts loosing ground. Repeat and rinse.

The home is about 1700 sq feet. And has one intake that is about 3 foot sq.

I had a guy come out and look at it, and he installed some pump. ( He said it would move the water through the pipes even when the unit is off, which would help keep the water cool. He said that it was a little warm coming into the unit from the ground pipes. Which are horazontal.

However, I think the real problem is with the the air flow, or perhaps the blower? Not sure what it is called. I know that in the kitchen (Only room that stays cool) I can feel the air coming out from the other side of the room. In other room, I have to put my hand next to it to see if it is blowing air.

The other thing is that the air ducts are these silver insalated tubes, that I have never seen before, and they are in the attic with the unit. Here are some pictures.
These are kind of large if you are on dial up, but I figure it is important for you all to see what I am seeing.

So I know I need to have insulation blown in, as it only has fiberglass, and it is not done very well at that...

Any other suggestions? I am thinking I need to move the smaller tubes to above the intake tube (The very large silver one that is on top of all the others). Any suggestions would be wonderfully acted apon!

Thanks all!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC