> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > New Enclosures
Login | Register

New Enclosures

Posted by Andrew in NY on December 20th, 2000 11:11 AM
In reply to Baseboard heater covers by Mike Steed on December 20th, 2000 09:21 AM [Go to top of thread]

I just finished replacing all of the baseboard radiator enclosures in my house (12 in all). You have already finished the hard part of removing the old ones. I bought Slant-Fin brand replacement enclosures from my local Home Depot. They are available in 3, 4, 5, 6, & 8 foot lengths, and include 'splice kits' if your radiator is long enough to require more than one enclosure. Also available are end caps with access flaps (left & right - be sure to get the right ones), as well as inside corner pieces. My Home Depot had them only in Slant-Fin's NuWhite color, which is a little off-white. I just finished painting, and stayed neutral, so the color was acceptable (anything looks better than the old ones!). I am not sure if they are available in other colors. A tip for shopping: right next to the enclosures, the Home Depot also sells entire radiator units (including pipe and fins) in a box about the same size as the box that the enclosures come in. Be sure to get the enclosures only - it is lableled on the box, but not in huge print (I made it all the way to the register before my wide pointed out that I had the entire radiator!). You will obviously notice a big price difference! My old enclosures were nailed to the studs prior to the pipes being run, and I had a tough time pulling the nails. In case I need to ever remove them in the future, I installed them using drywall screws (they will go right through the back of the enclosure if you push a little). I screwed them into every other stud, but always drove a screw as close to the end of the enclosure as possible. Before you install the enclosures, it is a good time to install new bleeder valves if you need them. They will allow you to get the air (and therefore knocking) out of the pipes. I had a local plumber do that for me, I believe he charged me $25/valve. Be sure to line up the access flap on the endcap with the bleeder valve, so you don't have to remove the entire front of the enclosure to bleed the pipes.

Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC