> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > New Crack in House Exterior Foundation
Login | Register

New Crack in House Exterior Foundation

Posted by betsy keogan on October 23rd, 2002 06:41 AM

I just discovered a vertical crack in the exterior of my home's foundation. I think it's relatively new. It's not wide; not even 1/16th of an inch at the top (the widest part). It's roughly where the foundation for the garage and the foundation for the basement (a story deeper than the garage) meet; also where the upstairs shower is located. There are no other cracks in the foundation or signs of settlement.

One thing that HAS changed: the shower used to make a "hammer/rattle" noise in the morning as the pipes adjusted to the hot water. Lately I've noticed the noise is gone... Could the hammering have broken some sort of caging around the pipes, which in turn caused some sttlement?

I need to know how serious this is and what to do about it. This has been a very bad year financially, so I don't want to hire expensive engineers unless it's necessary.

The house is 6 years old. I've owned it 2 years, and it passed inspection with flying colors when I bought it.

One thought: I have a teenage who lives in a basement roomand cranks up the bass VERY loudly from time to time. Could this possibly be a cause?

Also: we ar expecting rain in two days. Should I cover the crack insome way so the rain doesn;t seep in?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC