> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > New Construction Problems
Login | Register

New Construction Problems

Posted by Pat on April 17th, 2001 07:10 PM

I’m having a problem with a new construction. I signed a contract with a builder late January with a projected June finish date. Since that time here’s what has transpired:

The builder mistakenly began a foundation with the specifications of a concrete block instead of the crawl space I specified in the contract. The mistake was realized before concrete was actually poured so they attempted to convert what was already done to a crawl space. They completed that and finished the floor frame, however, the city inspector failed the crawl space stating the pier foundations were not deep enough. So, the builder ripped out the flooring and all the piers and basically (except for the footing) started again. So basically after almost 3 months the house is at ground zero. Needless to say this has caused me to lose confidence in their ability to build a quality house, a house that will be the biggest investment of my life.

My question is, in your opinion, what would you do? Move to terminate the contract? What would be the repercussions?

Also, the wood that was intended to be used for the house has been sitting out in the elements for some time. Now I realize that most new construction will ultimately be hit by rain and such, but in my case I would estimate this has been out in the elements at least 3 times longer than any other.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC