> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > New attic fan leaks!
Login | Register

New attic fan leaks!

Posted by J.R. on September 3rd, 2001 03:32 PM

I recently had new attic ventilation installed...soffets and two solar-powered top fans. The first time it rained, I checked in the attic and found both solar fans leaking pretty steady. I took videotape of it and called the company who installed them. They responded immediately and within a couple of weeks, we removed the solar units (the manufacturer had no solution for us) and installed one electric fan along with a passive vent in the place of the 2nd solar fan.
We had rain the day after the electric fan was installed and I detected no leaking from either spot; however, it rained again yesterday and the electric fan unit did leak enough to form a puddle of water in the bucket I had left there. I have contacted the company again and am waiting to hear back from them. So far, they have been excellent at helping to solve my problems so I am not panicked at this point!
My real question is...with a new top vent like the electric vent, would it be typical at all to receive some leaking in a windy rainstorm?? The new "passive" top vent did not leak at all (it's identical on the outside), but did leak where the electric fan is installed. Before I actually talk again to the installers, I am wondering if attic vents would ever be expected to leak a small amount. I don't want to freak out over something that might be normal! On the other hand, I sure don't want water leaking into my attic every other rainstorm!
With the solar fans, the installers finally decided that the pitch of my roof must have made a difference in the leakage so I wonder if the same would be true of a different kind of vent. Again, since only one of the "new holes" in my roof is showing signs of leaking now, I tend to think that the electric fan may need some tweaking to prevent future leaks.
I appreciate any advice or assistance with this! Admittedly, I am no expert on attic fans and the probabilities of leakage!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC