> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > NEED HELP "DATING" A HOUSE
Login | Register

Posted by wingst0fly on July 30th, 1998 01:06 AM

My town is very political, and no one has been helpful. I'm trying to figure out what year my house was built. Yes, it's very old.The foundation is granite, the frame is post and beam. There are two chimneys, and the basement has a stone hearth that leads into brick. (The fireplaces have been removed.) The houset has pumpkin pine floors, with old wooden nails.A central staircase leads upstairs to two bedrooms, but at least one of these used to be two,as there is a floor seam, and two doors with small windows, that appear to be blown glass. There is a loft area that we can access via the ceiling panel.
The wallpaper is parchment thin. The walls are horsehair plaster, and wainscot painted blue. There are leftover gas pipes used for lighting in the ceiling, and old push button electrical switches.
The kitchen ceiling is old. It's painted white, with one panel that opens for what reason? I don't know. I don't feel safe enough to walk the enclosed loft above. The kitchen was an addition, but it boasts an old gas stove with a pipe going through a chimney.
The bathroom is pure MRS. Bates.
The front door has an archway that has eithor been replaced, or kept in good condition. The living room ceiling (when removed) exposed a painted white tin ceiling.
The house is divided by my neighbor's via a stone wall, and lots of old orange daylillies have sprouted.
Any information, or guesstamates would be useful. We live in Mass just south of Cape Cod. Thanks.
Most of the windows are new, but the kitchen ones are screwed on from the outside, and we can't get the inside ones opened because they're painted shut.

There are two added rooms extending from the original house.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC