> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My well pump installatioin.
Login | Register

My well pump installatioin.

Posted by Jason on May 6th, 2002 09:22 PM
In reply to Well Pump & Attic Fan... New home owners need HELP!! by Randy McIntosh on May 6th, 2002 11:38 AM [Go to top of thread]

Greetings Randy,

When it comes to plumbing, there are many experts on this site, I am not one of them.

However, this past weekend my neighbor and I installed a well pump to water our lawns with (beat the water bans) and this is what we did:

A while back I found (yes, found) an old 1/2 hp Sears 20/40psi, shallow well pump. Having a small detention pond in my back/side yard, I decided to put the pump to work watering my lawn and sharing it with my neighbor.

Granted this is very crude but it works.

After determining where the best location was to draw the water from, we built a small platform to mount the pump to near the pond.

Then we drilled some holes into a plastic bucket, lined it with 1/4 " galvanized mesh wire and added some small rocks to weigh it down and placed it into the pond where we could get at it but it would not run dry.

On the intake side of the pump, we ran a 1/2" copper pipe out and over where the bucket was and cut it to lenth. Then we attached a "foot valve" to the end of another section of 1/4 copper pipe and placed it in the bucket. Leaving room for the elbow, we cut that pipe to lenth. We then removed the vertical pipe from the water and soldered the elbow onto it. After that was complete, we placed it back into the water, slid a piece of mesh, large enough to cover the bucket over the pipe and conected the elbow to the horizontal run. That end is done.

Note, we "kind of" messed up on this end for the time being.

On the out take side of the pump, we ran a rubber hose attached with a clamp. (This will only give you constant pressure and any reduction in flow, will cut off the pump.)

So, next weekend, we will install a 1/4" copper pipe from the out take to a well tank (probably a 30 gallon size) then run the hose from there.

We ran a short lenth of grounded electrical wire (see the instructions that come with your pump for the proper size wire) with a male end on it from the pump so when I am using it, I can plug my cord into it and the same for my neighbor. Make sure you plug into a GFI'd outlet! (I will share the pump but, I'm not going to provide the juice for both lawns).

Next, we built a dog house around it and we were done.

Sorry to run on and I know that my installation is probably different from yours. But, it's the same principal, water, foot valve, pipe, pump, pipe, tank, outflow.

If I have left something out, and anyone got this far down, they will correct me (and help me as well.)

Good luck,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC