> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > my way... starting the lively debate, I'm sure...
Login | Register

my way... starting the lively debate, I'm sure...

Posted by jb on December 17th, 2001 12:31 PM
In reply to Basement Refinish by Mark on December 17th, 2001 12:11 AM [Go to top of thread]

I am going to do the same thing (finish my basement), but I am going to attach (probably glue) an inch or two of rigid foam insulation directly to the concrete walls, then build my stud walls, probably with no batt insulation. This way, I think the need for a vapor barrier is eliminated and there shouldn't be any condensation. Also, I can have hollow wall bays for bringing heat ducts down low, etc. I have seen some pretty elaborate diagrams about vapor barriers, etc. in basements. They show one kind of treatment from the bottom - up and another treatment from the top - down. There are so many different ways of doing it and so many possible scenarios, it is quite a debate. I think my idea works for a lot of them. I am assuming only for dry basements that do not have leaks or liquid infiltration and have black tar sealer on the outside, below grade. Come on guys, have at me - we will probably have some lively debate...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• MOLD by Clint Forester  1/6/03 08:34 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC