> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My Thoughts ...
Login | Register

My Thoughts ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on August 8th, 2001 08:50 AM
In reply to Tile or Pergo Entryway by Joan/Dennis on August 7th, 2001 09:57 PM [Go to top of thread]

HI Joan/Dennis,

Jim is right - Ceramic tile is forever. But to answer your question, I can say Pergo is easier once the floor is prepared. However, in your case, you had tile before, and depending on what's still 'on the floor' after demolition, the prep work will be the hardest work for either ceramic tile or Pergo. (The pure installation is easy for both products once the prep work is done.)

Ceramic tile, like hardwood floors, pretty much last a lifetime. BOTH require proper sub-floor construction to be sure the last a lifetime. If you have Floor Joists, make sure they're 'sound' and the Contractor installs a 'thick' sub-floor. If your home is on a concrete pad, you may need a backerboard (depending on what's left from the 'demolition job'. The Pro will take care of it.) For me, even though you're talking about an entry way, ceramic tile is cold to bare or stocking feet. And if you have an unheated crawlspace or basement down there, or if your concrete slab is cold in Winter, your feet will feel it. (You could consider a Warm Floor System.) Also, it's possible that the NEW 'thickness' of your floor will require that doors be cut, or that the transitions into other rooms will be 'off height'. You'll want to know the NEW thickness of the NEW floor BEFORE you buy or install anything because it may change your mind.

As for Pergo, when it wears out, you throw it away. It's not repairable, so to speak. YOu can't refinish it and it's a pain to replace a 'bad piece'. It's a laminated plastic material. If you don't mind these 'characteristics', then go for Pergo.

Since I don't know what you have for a sub-floor, slab or not, and since I don't know the condition of the 'rough floor', I can't say which is easier. As I mentioned, the prep work for BOTH is the hardest part because you don't have 'new construction' for your floor. If you want to get back to 'us' w/more info, we can tell you what needs to be done and you can decide which is EASIEST to install (prep and finish work, combined.)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Oh, for a PURE entryway that's more like a mud room, I say go w/Ceramic, even if the room is unheated. Pergo can definitely NOT be 'exposed' to the elements. It doesn't like to get wet at all! If it does, it will swell and NEVER go back to its 'original state'. (For more info on where you can, and can't, use Pergo, get a copy of their Installation Instructions AND their Warranty. BOTH are documents well worth reading BEFORE you buy.)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC