> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My Synopsis ...
Login | Register

My Synopsis ...

Posted by Jay J on July 17th, 2000 12:28 PM
In reply to paints by DIY'er on July 12th, 2000 06:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

ALL the paints you listed above received a Very Good from CR. (This means the Overall Score reflects the performance of EACH brand in 3 tint bases: white, pastel, and medium. Hence, some got 'high' VG ratings; some got 'low' VG ratings.) ALL of the same paints did about the same in the Toughness category. Some didn't fair well in the Hiding (white) category, to which I ALWAY say when it comes to painting in white - USE 2 COATS! (CR even says that most paints, especially white, didn't fair well with 1 coat of white, and all did 'better' with 2 coats of white.) And in the Mildew resistance category, there was a mix-match of success among all the paints.

So, what does this all say. For starters, I'm a big fan of consumre reports. And like a lot of companies having their products tested by CR, sometimes, they don't reflect the 'real world'. BUT, the tests in-and-of-themselves, were applied to *ALL* the paints. So, that has to be considered. The way I see it, even though manufactureres like SHerwin-Williams and Pratt & Lambert and Benjamin Moore shows up in the 'bottom half' of the list, that's only because of their OVERALL SCORE. Nonetheless, their 'relative' Overall Score is STILL shown as Very Good by CR! THAT is important to consider too. I know the tests with the WHITE paint didn' fair well with them but like CR said, ALL paints in the WHITE test did better with 2 coats. And to reaffirm my 'position' when it comes to painting, I always do 2 coats anyway. So, for me, the WHITE part of the test is moot. Agree or disagree, that's just how I approach white paint. (I know it's not 'in line' with CR's position.)

If you look at just price, only 2 out of the 10 paints you listed are under $19 per gallon. 3 are $19, 1 is $20, and 3 are over $24. That's not far from the $24 I pay for my Finneran & Haley paint (which was NOT part of the CR test.) I do suggest you go with Low Luster paint on the wall. Forget flat and forget gloss on the walls too. (That's a personal taste.) After speaking with Pratt & Lambert on the phone 2 or so years ago about the paint thay make for Wal-mart (per Wal-Mart specs), you have to wonder how much of the $14 for their House Beautiful is profit and how much went into the mfgring. of the paint itself. P & L didn't hide that Wal-Mart's paint is a relatively lesser quality the the P & L made for their Retailers. That's being honest, and obviously reflected in Wal-mart's paint prices! I also still say go with B M or P & L or S-W paint. Ask a pro or 3 what they use for your situation. Very recently, when they finished building a new control room here at work, it was very 'comforting' to see that F & H paint was being used. And these painters know how to put up a good of paint in ONE shot; NOT two!

If you need more 'help', e-mail me directly. This post is getting burried!

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC