> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My Siders Screwed Up!
Login | Register

My Siders Screwed Up!

Posted by Bob D on June 18th, 2001 02:46 PM

Hi all!

I have a few leaks in a new house that I am building around my padio doors. When I got out my ladder to take a peak I discovered that the siders put up the J-channel above the doors without cutting it long and bending over a drip edge like they should have (I followed the link JJ put up a few posts ago on installing vinal siding...thanks!) Instead they mitered the J-channel which leaves a gap at the corners. It looks like the rain collects in the j channel, runs down to the edge of the window and then runs into the wall behind the siding. Boy, even I saw the problem in the first 30 seconds.

Do you guys think cauking these holes and seams with 100% silicon would be a satisfactory solution?

Or do I need to have these bozo's redo all the windows?

It kind of worries my to wonder what else they did wrong. I guess sometimes it IS better to just do things yourself! Out of the 8 contractors I have had working on my house only 3 of them did their job right without any mistakes. I have had a roofer that failed to felt under the top 3 feet before he shingled it. I had a foundation that had a big ripple on the top edge of one of the walls and a hole in another. I had drywallers that rushed through the last 4 rooms when it took longer than they thought it was going to take and tried to cover it up with texturing. And now I found out that the siders had no idea how to properly side around doors and windows without funneling the water behind the siding! JEEES!!!!! I guess part of the blame comes back to me for hiring the builder and the contractors that I hired...but boy are there some lousy people out there that don't give a sh-- about their work or have a clue about how to do their job!

Oops...I guess I've been venting. sorry.

Anyway thanks for any advice on fixing the siding!

Bob D

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC