> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My Rebuttal.....
Login | Register

My Rebuttal.....

Posted by Ed Parker on February 11th, 2000 09:40 AM
In reply to We love ours! by Dan on February 10th, 2000 10:55 PM [Go to top of thread]

Glad to see you enjoy the product and are getting good service from it so far. However, let me just point out that your "overnight bucket test" may be somewhat flawed. One piece of flooring does not a floor make. There is no way you are going to convince myself or anyone experienced in the field of building materials that a wood fibered product is not susceptible to water penetration. I challenge you to glue up five or six pieces, let them soak for a good while, and then look at the results. Swelling will certainly be more noticeable when abutted next to others. A leaking toilet flange or dishwasher hose may take several weeks, before the effects are noticed. Secondly, as the flooring ages, the resins that bond the fibers together will eventually begin to break down and lose some of their resiliency. That's the reality of glues, in general. So, if you feel the service life of a laminate floor is acceptable as, say 5 to 6 years, then this floor will be fine for you. If, like myself, you feel a wood floor should last the life of the home, then this product is not acceptable. I won't come right out and say the product's junk, but I do take issue with some of the hype and anyone who will say this is as good as traditional hardwood. (which I realize you are not saying) I am confident there are still some people that believe in the virtues of quality and value, and can see through thinly veiled marketing campaigns. I know they exist, because I work in their homes.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC