> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My "Chime" :o)
Login | Register

My "Chime" :o)

Posted by Bruce Ridenour on November 25th, 2001 08:14 PM
In reply to Abate by Steve: on November 25th, 2001 03:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

As Steve says, Asbestos is serious stuff. The problem is when someone begins to mess with it. People who do this type of work are putting themselves at risk, have been trained and deserve to get paid for that. Done improperly, you end up an apartment that is worth a great deal less than you paid for it. Left alone, it most likely will cause no problem. Just from my point of view, if I knew that Asbestos was present in a home, I wouldn't even consider buying it. I might even feel uncomfortable being in there.

All that being said, you have two choices, abatement or leave it alone. If you hire someone to float over it, you could end up disturbing it an put yourself and others at risk. Compounds and plasters weigh a lot, even when dry. The texture may not be able to hold the weight of the "float" and you could end up with some of it on your floor.

I read an article in a Discover magazine a year or so ago about a process being developed that provides an inexpencive alternative to abatement. It involved the aplication of a chemical that alters the structure of the asbestos itself and renders it harmless. The process was under review and may not be available for some time yet, so don't hold your breath, but you might inquire about it to see if anyone knows anything about it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Next ... by Jay J -Moderator  11/26/01 08:36 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC