> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My Personal Experience W/Craftsman Products ...
Login | Register

My Personal Experience W/Craftsman Products ...

Posted by Jay J on September 30th, 1999 04:47 PM
In reply to Do they only make one type of garage door in America..??? by John 2000 on September 30th, 1999 04:17 PM [Go to top of thread]

As with a lot of products made for 3rd party companies like Sears, a SKIL saw (for example) is not necessarily the same as a SKIL saw from SKILL.

Sears gives SKIL certain specifications as to what they want their product to do in terms of performance, repairability, parts, etc., etc.. In doing this, Sears may have a more, or less expensive, product than SKIL. Hence, Sears gets a similar saw made as compared to SKIL but with a different model number. At the same time, if the products were EXACTLY the same, then you'd simple shop price, and the case would be closed (not to coin a pun). There are products at Sears that can be 'had' elsewhere, and are these products are EXACTLY the same. Again, shopping would be on price (ooops, and service). My experience w/Craftsman is not too good. I know Sears only wants to be competitive but in doing so, they may produce an inferior product. This is EVEN with comparables across DIFFERENT mfgrs.. Hence, w/o always knowing what's inside (as INTEL would say), I tend to stay away from anything mechanized from Craftsman. (I know, I know, some of you have had great success but that may be due to a variety reasons that I don't want to go into here. I can see that happening ...) As for their hand-tools, I've had no bad luck.

I have seen what friends and neighbors have gone through with Sears lawnmowers and other lawn equipment so that only supports my personal bias. My friends in the trades rely on their tools for their livelyhood. If 'you' want find a reliable lawnmower, ask a landscaper. If you want to find a reliable cordless drill, ask a carpenter. If you want to find a reliable family car, ask people with families. ANd on and on. That's my $.20 on Craftsman and how to 'pick' a reliable piece of anything ...

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC