> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My business first started out as deck/arbor...
Login | Register

My business first started out as deck/arbor...

Posted by Moderator, Steve on August 27th, 2002 11:09 AM
In reply to Decking - Composit or Wood? by Jim Rolelr on August 27th, 2002 09:38 AM [Go to top of thread]

contractor. With time decks have been my mainstay, but blended painting and home remodeling.

BUT, I still like building decks. I live in Texas and we have heat and high UV penetrations. Trex has bowed and contorted so that they have removed many displays of this material from the area. Vinyl's have turned yellowish. There has really not been a clear cut winner amount the synthetics as of yet.

I have always been 100% a natural deck person. PT (pressure treated) accounting for almost 90% of my decks mainly because of its strength, price and the fact that it will look like redwood in 60 days. A square foot in material of pt wood is about $3.50, redwood is $14.75, and cedar is about $8.50. They will all turn light to dark gray and will all last about 15 years if maintained.

Now that pt wood or CCA wood will be discontinued next year, my deck business will about disappear. I will have to either drop this business of decks or go with the synthetics and not have my warranty in tact. So, whatever you decide upon, you really need to move on and committ.

Personally, I am shocked that so little testing that I know of has been done with the synthetics. Here is my question to you; can you affort to make that huge investment in syn material and five years down the road get into unknown territory and have a deck that is ruined? I know how pt wood will act and you will not be disappointed.

I say, go the natural wood species for your deck and minimize the surprises.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC