> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My 2 cents Worth...
Login | Register

My 2 cents Worth...

Posted by Dodgeman on May 24th, 2001 01:24 PM
In reply to lacing the valley or not? by patrick on May 23rd, 2001 11:40 PM [Go to top of thread]

I moved to a different part of the Midwest a few years ago. Where I now live, lacing is the most common method. So I went along with it when I had my roof redone. NEVER AGAIN! It is extremely difficult for the roofers to get a nice good looking straight valley with lacing. The edges of the shingles where they lap each other in the valley are dirt, leaf, etc catchers. I think the only reason roofers like to do it is that it is faster to install. No cutting, etc.
My personnal choice is 90 lb roll roofing. Cut the 36 inch roll the long way, and lay an 18 inch strip upsidedown the long way in the valley. Then take the full 36in width rightside up over that. Then shingle the same way as you would with a metal valley. Place no nails closer than 12 inches to the center of the valley. Use roofing cement. I have used this method on several homes, one in particular has the origonial roof, and after 29 years the valleys look great and no leaks.
If you have to, use the metal, but I would not lace.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC