> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > my 2 cents
Login | Register

my 2 cents

Posted by bc on January 8th, 2001 06:29 PM
In reply to More Hardwood Questions? by Marcie on January 6th, 2001 05:37 PM [Go to top of thread]

Marcie, assume the worst that the warranty is no good and, like your your parquet floor, and that no wood floor is going to last forever in a kitchen and that you could end up with the expense of replacing it in x number of years. Also assume your installer may never come back to fix anything without wanting megabucks. Then you are prepared to deal with life later on. Get the best floor you can afford and can afford to replace later on. With that in mind, I wouldn't be afraid to put wood in a kitchen or bathroom. Same for carpet.

Although there are longer lasting alternatives, do what makes you happy. To me, anything less than 3/4" solid wood is just a replacable floor covering like carpet. Even vinyl doesn't last forever. It curls, peels, tears, seams separate, etc. Go to your local home cheapo and buy some pergo or bruce or something if you are on a budget. Ask about one of their installers. Some of those floating laminate wood floor coverings that aren't nailed down solid sometimes have a hollow sound or even a squishy sound when you walk on them. If you are really picky, ask a salesman who has a similar floor over a year or two old whom you can call for a reference and maybe they people will let you look at it. Last but not least, Get the same floor your cousin has. With any wood, control of humidity and moisture is the key to keeping it stable.

People spend a fortune for cars that need replacing in a few years when basic transportation is fairly cheap. At least you are checking on alternatives. Most people spend more time inspecting and buying a car than they do a house(after a 30 minute walk through, they go into debt for the next 30 years).(then complain later on of course)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC