> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > my 2 cents
Login | Register

my 2 cents

Posted by bc on November 16th, 2000 03:14 PM
In reply to clothes dryer by suzanne on November 15th, 2000 08:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

The dryer should be vented with minimal turns, no obstructions in the pipe such as screws, and going up as little as possible. Lint can hang up in turns and on screws and obstructions. Lint going up can fall back down and ball up at the bottom. Lint can plug up and cause the dryer to overheat. If the temperature cutoff switch doesn't work or if there is loose lint around tub, then the excess heat can cause the lint to catch fire. There are many dryer fires and resulting homes burning down in this country. I have heard that dryer fires is a preferred method of arsonists because fire marshalls can't prove wrong doing.

Either way, limit the height and distance as much as possible. They are put into basements all the time and run out the end/ribbon joist. Of the 3 methods mentioned so far either should work, through the concrete wall, through the glass block, or either down or up (depending upon if the dryer is on the first floor or basement) and through the joist cavity and out a hole in the end/ribbon joist. The end joist is between the subfloor and the sill plate its entire length so whether and entire piece is cut out for a basement window or a 4 or 5" hole for vents will not matter as it is "spanning" an open area like a joist in a ceiling or floor.

Final say is look at the dryer instructions and contact the manufacturer about how high or far you can run the vent. I can't find mine right now.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC