> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My $.02, Among Others ...
Login | Register

My $.02, Among Others ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on November 16th, 2001 02:24 PM
In reply to Thanks by Jeanie on November 16th, 2001 09:32 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Jeanie,

With the kids and dogs, I' DEFINITELY go w/the Armstrong. I have the Solarian ToughGuard in my kitchen. It has what's known as a Wearthrough Layer. What it means is that the 'design' isn't simple 'embossed' on the surface. The design is kinda 'embedded' into the vinyl, and as it wears (with the rest of the vinyl), it won't wear off. You see, years ago, vinyl use to have its 'design' printed on the surface only. These days, the better vinyls have their designs embedded in the vinyl.

Other than following the Mfgrs.'s instructions for Care and Maintenance (no home-made remidies please), consider laying out runners and/or floor mats in specific high traffic areas. That includes laying them on the vinyl floor AS WELL AS the hardwood floors. The same for area rugs on the hardwood floor especially. Be SURE the backing is a rubbery-vinyl backing. DON'T use plain, old carpet remnants for this purpose. They'll SCRATCH and damage the finish on ANY floor. For rugs or remnants that don't have the vinyl backing, you can buy 'detached vinyl backing sheets' that you can cut-to-fit under a rug. If you end up using them, you'll want to be sure that some part (preferably 2 parts at a minimum) of the rug (in question) is being held down by a piece (or 2) of furniture. Area rugs, for example, could use a coffe table, or something, to keep the rug in place in order to prevent it from sliding off of the 'loose' vinyl backing (that you cut-to-fit this rug.) You see, once the rug 'slides off' of the loose vinyl backing, it will scratch the finish on the floor and you'll DEFINITELY be displeased w/the damage!

Back to the Armstrong floor - Be SURE the floor it's installed on is FLAT. Usually, a 1/4" layer of Lauan is installed. Then, the nail 'holes' are leveled w/a type of spackeling compound (a leveling compound / filler). The same goes for the 'seams' of the Lauan. Then, they're sanded or scraped smooth. THEN the vinyl is layed down. I'm only stressing this because you want to ask your builder is laying down BEFORE the vinyl is layed. In the least, he should 'fill' all nail holes and cracks in the sub-floor (if that's what he's installing over, which I hope he's not.) Lauan is what should be used. Anyways, as you know, vinyl is a very 'soft' material, and a nail pop WILL come through if it isn't properly set and filled. And after the floor is installed, find out how to 'repair' your seams in the vinyl. When 2 sheets come together, over time, the filler wears off and dirt starts to get inbetween the sheets, and eventually, the vinly can start 'peeling' up off the floor. The seams should be CLEAN too, and it's easy to do that and any 'maintenance filling'. Just ask him how and what to do should you start experiencing this problem. Oh, to boot, keep some scraps of the new floor. The bigger the piece, the better. They should be stored FLAT so that if you need to do a repair, you have some scraps. (Let's just skip that type of repair for now ...)

See Hardwood in the kitchen for more 'thoughts' on the bigger picture. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC