> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My $.02 ...
Login | Register

My $.02 ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on November 7th, 2001 08:55 AM
In reply to Laminate vs Tile by Becky on November 6th, 2001 08:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Becky,

Ceramic Tile (negatives): Will raise the floor's height at least 1/2". More likely, 3/4". This will create 'issues', possibly, with floor heights between rooms and underneath cabinets.
It's COLD if the floor (the floor itself) below isn't heated. Consider an In-floor Radiant Heat System.
Should you drop anything on it, it's quite possible the tile will chip. (It will never look the same ...)
Unless the floor is SOLID, plan on the grout cracking and/or tiles coming loose. You DON'T want to install this on a floor that isn't solid to begin with.
(pros): It's very durable and will last a LONG time.
It adds good value.

Vinyl Tile: (negatives): Unless you get a tile whose 'imprint' is NOT just on the surface (but has a 'wear layer' instead), the floor will show wear and tear in a number of years.
(pros): Inexpensive.
LOTS of choices.

I'm sure, as Jim even said, that there are more +'s and -'s, but for the moment, they escape me. (I have to really think about it.) Anyways, what I suggest is this. Flooring, over time, usually wanes on a Homeowner. If you want to know why 'decent' carpeting doesn't last past 10 years, it's because it's made to 'wear out' by then because usually a Homeowner is 'tired' of it and wants a change anyways. Depending on the house, the neighborhood, and the potential Homeowner, tile isn't for everyone. In an upscale neighborhood, it could be the 'norm'. Outside of that, most folks grew up on a 'cheap floor'. Now, for my $.02 ...

Personally, I'm not a ceramic tile fan when it comes to use in the kitchen. (Remember, it's my $.02 here. Others have their own $.02 ...) I don't particularly care for it for the reasons I mentioned above. HOWEVER, others will see the +'s as reasons to choose ceramic tile. I have a 'block' in that I think ceramic belongs in bathrooms and foyers. I think hardwood belongs in living rooms, dining rooms, family rooms, and such. I believe carpeting belongs in bedrooms and such. I belive vinyl belongs in kitchens and utility rooms and rooms that are 'below grade'. It's just a mindset for me. I'm probably basing all this on use and practicality; not looks. Sure, if I were to change my thinking a bit, I could possibly add value to my home. Well, if someone buys my home and wants to install ceramic tile, they can do that when they move in. I think, in my mind, that it's more popular than ceramic, therefore, I'd have more potential buyers including those that like ceramic and would put it in after they buy it. See what I mean? If my floor was solid AND I wanted to pay for an in-floor radiant heating system, then I'd go w/ceramic. Kids can ruin a ceramic floor because they tend to drop EVERYTHING. The kitchen is the most heavily used room in the house. This should be a consideration in your thinking, one way or the other.

Vinyl has come a LONG way from when I was a kid. As I mentioned, the 'design layers' are now impregnated into the vinyl vs. just 'printed' on it. (If you go this route, be SURE to ask about the wear layer as I mentioned it.) I prefer sheet vinyl vs. squares. The less seams, the better. You can buy sheet vinyl that looks like squares.

I'm sure others will have their $.02. It's all part of the learning process. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC