> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My $.02 ...
Login | Register

My $.02 ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on August 20th, 2001 12:24 PM
In reply to Advantages of cedar siding vs. vinyl siding by Judi on August 19th, 2001 01:10 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Judy,

I have a preference w/vinyl siding because of the MULTITUDES of 'looks' the industry offers. You can get shake-looking siding.

The only maintenance I know w/vinyl is you have to periodically clean it. Some need a yearly cleaning w/a power washer, others can go years (like me.) I have white vinyl siding, no trees, and low-growing vegetation. Since I get decent air flow and sunlight, I don't have the mold and mildew issues associated w/it if I didn't have my conditions. I did clean the back of the house (the North side) because it stays damp back there. There's good airflow but I do get some mold/mildew. Other than that, I don't do anything to it.

The maintenance-free aspect of vinyl allows me to spend that much more time w/my family. I do value that. I think the only problem you'll have w/your project is for EVERYONE to come up w/a common style of siding. If you stick w/a cedar-looking siding, than your problem is solved. HOWEVER, if folks like the clapboard or gingerbread look, then you're in for a fight. So, keep an open mind and think about how to handle this.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC