> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My $.02 ...
Login | Register

My $.02 ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 17th, 2001 08:34 AM
In reply to too nice of a house?? by stefanie on January 17th, 2001 01:14 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Stefanie,

For starters, I like 'John 2000s' advice the best WHICH, I must add, is what I'd do once I get the 'answers to all my questions' in hand.

Now, for my own, personal opinion. I will base it on what you wrote. (In other words, this opinion may NOT apply to any other situation.)

I think you won't get Market Value out of your home. To me, this is important along with how you PERSONALLY value your home. And I don't mean in terms of dollars-and-cents. These are 2 thinks, among others, that you must 'evaluate' when you are deciding what to do (as John 2000 says.) Also, if you will be coming in 'contact' with neighbors, you may not get the treatment you'd like to have. But then again, you might because it's POSSIBLE that you'll help raise their mobile home values. But I have to think, sight unseen, that you'll probably be 'shunned' unless you can 'prove' to them you're just like them. (This is a concern you raised yourself.) Fitting in, unfortunately, is on of the unwritten rules in society. As much as we'd all like to think we can say and do as we please, that may be true, but there are consequences in our society for that. As harmless as some of these consequences may seem, the question is: Can you live with them, literally?

It's a shame you didn't ask your question before you bought the land. One think you should do is hire a Professional Appraiser. (They're in the phone books, and if not, ask any Realtor or Bank for some references.) Tell the Appraiser what you'd LIKE to do. Then, ask 1) if he/she'll know if you'll get a loan, 2) what value will you have 'down the road'. Have the Appraiser that the neighborhood will remain relatively 'unchanged'. This way, you'll have something in a worst-case scenario. I think it's possible that you'll never get your money back. BUT, if you really feel you aren't going anywhere, who cares?

When you're asked all the questions you can think of, and you've gotten all the answers imaginable, then sit down at that kitchen table and make your decision. I do wish you well. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -MOderator

PS: This is just my opinion and should be taken that way. I admire you're asking 'us' though ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC