> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My $.02 ...
Login | Register

My $.02 ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on November 2nd, 2000 07:48 AM
In reply to Laminates VS Wood by Jim on November 1st, 2000 08:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Stephen,

I would consider everything that's been said already to be excellent information. Now, with that, I'd like to add that you're not finished with 'doing your homework'.

Taking Pergo as an example, there are a few warranties as Jim says. At the same time, you would want to read them first to see the 'conditions' that are applied to them so you DON'T void the warranty. Yes, Pergo can be put in the bathroom and laundry room (which are rooms with relatively high moisture rates.) BUT, the warranties require that the UNDERSIDE of the floor be kept dry in order for the warranty to be enforcible. So, in short, depending on which floor you get, make sure you read the Installation Instructions AND the Warranty BEFORE you buy. This way, you know what is covered under the Warranty and what 'special installation steps' may be necessary.

I can say that a little water getting under a solid or solid-engineered floor is not a problem. BUT, with a floor like Pergo (as they even admit as I've already mentioned), is a different 'story'. If you aren't dead-set on laminate, consider berber carpeting or vinyl. But if you want a laminate, I suggest a cross-laminate product where EACH and EVERY 'layer' is a solid, natural wood. (Engineered flooring comes in many different varities.) The other follow-ups have covered an awful lot for you already.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC