> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My $.02 ...
Login | Register

My $.02 ...

Posted by Jay J on September 20th, 2000 06:59 AM
In reply to Kitchen countertops by Patty A. on September 19th, 2000 03:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

You may not 'agree' with my recommendation but I can speak from experience ...

A solid countertop in a home with 4 children under 10 may spell an unwelcomed number of accidents waiting to happen. With children at that age, you have to become one to see the potential for accidents. Now, granted, you may have the best behaved children in your county but accidents do happen. Kids reach and throw 'things' in the kitchen. Plus, they tend to knock 'things' down. What I'm trying to say is that a solid countertop in the kitchen may not be what you want. Perhaps you'd like to consider a laminated / formica countertop instead. Glass breaking at that height with children running around (bare-foot and care free) scares me just enough to steer away from solid counters.

As your children grow, they'll be using your counters for a LOT of things. They'll be banging things on them, they'll be cutting things on them, they'll be climbing on them too. Like I said, you may not agree but with the 'odds' in your home, it's VERY likely they'll be doing such things and 'ruining' your counters. I have a somewhat unorthodox philosophy: Until the children are of an age where they can appreciate the cost and labor that goes into 'something', I'm not going to spend the money only to see its 'lifetime' shortened through 'natural abuse' by them. I don't buy the 'best' cars to haul them around in, I don't buy the best furniture, nor rugs, nor countertops, nor beds, nor whatever. (Only where the children and accidents and the like are concerned, of course. My wife and I do buy 'good stuff' when it comes to us. ;-) ) I'm sure others will recommend something you'll like but my 'philosophy' is preventing me from doing so. Stay tuned! Others will follow.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC