> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My $.02 ...
Login | Register

My $.02 ...

Posted by Jay J on April 20th, 2000 01:28 PM
In reply to fireplace vs. wood burning stove by Melissa on April 20th, 2000 12:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

We have a fireplace. And when it's in use, we don't use for heating. (It's just not what our fireplace will do.) IN fact, it's not used that much. With it, you have the obvious 'things': soot on brick/walls, ashes, wood storage inside, some 'smell', inefficient, costs $$$ to heat the air that goes out the chimney, (I'm sure there are more but they escape me for the moment.) BUT, they're reeeeeeal nice to look at!

We're considering getting a gas fireplace that will go right inside the existing fireplace. (It will look like it 'belongs' where it is. It would be vented to the outside. They make ventless ones that are pretty good too.) It's efficient, there's no mess, nice to look at, odorless, and so on. It can be turned on and off whenever you want. Yes, you can heat w/it. You CAN buy them to heat the room it's in. They make propane ones too.

I like the idea a lot. You can buy them to look like a fireplace or a hearth. You can buy them to fit in a corner. The selection is pretty amazing and it's equally amazing how they've been incorporated to even look like furniture! My cousin has theirs in a corner, it's boxed in, and set to be part of a shelf unit. Very, very nice.

Those are my thoughts on a fireplace. In short, I'd leave them for the mountain home. Others???

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC