renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > MY $.02 ...
Login | Register

MY $.02 ...

Posted by JAY J on March 27th, 2000 08:23 AM
In reply to COUNTER TOPS by ARTHUR FORD on March 24th, 2000 09:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

ARTHUR,

ABOUT 1 TO 2 YEARS AGO, THE WIFE AND I LOOKED INTO SWANSTONE. WE DIDN'T HEAR ABOUT THE TYPES OF PROBLEMS MELANIE IN MI WAS TALKING ABOUT. WE HEARD ABOUT THE JOINTS FAILING. THE JOINTS WERE FAILING BECAUSE, SUPPOSEDLY, THE COUNTER TOPS WERE TOO THIN. THEY USED 1/4" INSTEAD OF 1/2". YOU CAN GET IT IN 1/2" THICKNESS, WELL, INSIST ON IT. THEY ALSO CAME UP WITH A BETTER 'WELD' FOR THE JOINTS TOO. MELANIE'S TOP IS 8 YEARS OLD. AND WE WERE LOOKING AT THEM WITHIN THE PAST 2 YEARS. THAT'S QUITE A DIFFERENCE. I KNOW OF 2 CONTRACTORS WHO NO LONGER INSTALL THEM BECAUSE OF THE PAST PROBLEM. SWANSTONE WAS SAYING THE PROBLEMS WERE DUE TO POOR INSTALLATION. THE INSTALLERS WERE SAYING THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE PRODUCT. I'LL TEND TO GO WITH THE LATTER. AND SINCE SWANSTONE MADE THEIR IMPROVEMENTS, THESE 2 INSTALLERS HAVEN'T PICKE UP THEIR PRODUCT AGAIN. THEY SAID THEY'RE GONNA WAIT UNTIL THEY HERE A PATTERN OF 'BETTER THINGS' ABOUT THE MATERIAL. I GUESS THE JURY IS STILL OUT ON THIS ONE.

BUT AGAIN, AS TO WHAT 'MELANIE IN MI' HAS SAID, I HAVEN'T HEAR ABOUT THOSE PROBLEMS. YOU OUGHT TO GET REFERENCES FROM INSTALLERS. AND ASK THE 'REFERENCE' FOR PROOF OF INSTALLATION. JUST TELL THEM YOU HEARD 'MIXED THINGS' ABOUT THE PRODUCT OVER THE PAST 8 YEARS. (AT ONE TIME, THE PRODUCT WAS A PAIN TO KEEP CLEAN, AND AT ANOTHER TIME, IT HAD 'JOINT' PROBLEMS, AND AT ANOTHER TIME, IT WAS TOO THIN, AND SO ON.) IF THEY DONT' WANT TO SHOW YOU A RECEIPT, MOVE ON. AT WORST, YOU DON'T GET SWANSTONE!

MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.

JAY J

PS: IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM, JOIN THEM.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC