> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My $.02 ...
Login | Register

My $.02 ...

Posted by Jay J on January 6th, 2000 10:53 AM
In reply to masonry/driveway/landscaping by L. George on January 6th, 2000 10:40 AM [Go to top of thread]

You really didn't say 'anything' in terms of a description of the house, the driveway, the steps, and the overall landscape. Things like house style, elevation, type of house, the-rest-of-the-neighborhood, and so on play into this equation. Even if you 'described' all this, it is not easy to make specific recommendations. (Now, to try and answer your question more directly.)

You can drive around your neighborhood or a similiar one to get ideas, you can go to the library and look and Home & Garden types of magazines, you can visit a Quarry or Stone Yard (See the Yellow Pages) to look at different stone, you can visit the Garden Department of the Home Centers (like Home Depot and Lowes, etc.) to see what books they have, or you can hire a professional landscaper to talk, talk and review, and/or talk and review and construct what you want. (They'll do design work only if that's what you want, all the way to seeing the job finished to the end.)

Other than that, be mindful that you don't price yourself out of the neighborhood. And that you will be 'in character' with the house AND the rest of the neighborhood. If you aren't mindful, you can hurt the resale value of your home. (It doesn't matter if you're there for only a few years or a few decades.) My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: The Stone Yards and Quarrys should be able to give you ideas directly. There are pavers, 'stamps', and poured concrete driveways. The 'stamped' styles give you all kinds of different looks/profiles. They're worth looking into.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC