> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > My $.02
Login | Register

My $.02

Posted by Jay J on June 16th, 1998 04:59 PM
In reply to to jay j pergo by Mari on June 16th, 1998 04:25 PM [Go to top of thread]

I don't have a biased AGAINST Pergo; I have a preference for a floor that more like a solid hardwood floor.

I've installed a few for myself and my family. No, I'm no contractor but I will give you a clarification/explanation as to my opinion.

Pergo is a good floor in the following applications (IMO): ??? That's right, In My Opinion.

Why the ??? ? Because 1) Pergo is a chipboard product that doesn't hold up to water as well as an engineered or solid hardwood floor. Read the warranty. It's NOT meant for the laundry room or the bathroom and for that matter, I'd suspect that water from a dropped glass in the kitchen could 'upset' the composition, hence, no kitchen. 2) You can't refinish a Pergo floor when it's worn to the point where it needs to be refinished (or replaced). This could be costly in high traffic rooms such as kitchens and hallways. 3) Try to replace a plank(s) in a Pergo floor. It's not a trivial task and usually involves replacing more boards than you want because they're easily damaged (chipboard). 'nough said.

Pergo DOES wear well because it has a lot of layers of finish on it. This is to say that the wood portion of the flooring is NOT as suseptible to wear as an engineered floor or solid hardwood floor. Because of this fact, I have a 4) ... 4) Because Pergo has so many layers of finish applied to it, it scratches more easily since it's "softer" than the latter 2 types of flooring. This leads to the floor (finish) looking more 'worn' than what you'd expect from an engineered or solid floor. Now, because you can refinish the engineered and solid hardwood floors I've talked about and because they have fewer finishing layers, you do end up wearing into the actual wood in these types of floors. BUT, again, they can be refinished. So, in short, it's a matter of trade-offs. If you want a floor that will wear longer, get Pergo. But, don't complain about how much you see the scratches and that it can't be refinished. The Pergo wood isn't what gets the most damage over time; it's the finish that gets the damage. And who cares 'bout that, eh? Until the Pergo wood gets damaged from scratches / wear-and-tear, then you'll have to replace it entirely (or planks) because (well, I'm repeating myself) you can't refinish Pergo. When it comes to the latter 2 types of flooring, since you are more likely to scratch / wear-and-tear the wood in a shorter timespan than you would the Pergo, you'll have to refinish them; NOT replace them.

I hope you see more clear what I'm trying to say. I apologize for not being this clear. As you can see, it's a lot of typing and it's a personal preference. If you want more, please e-mail me directly. Best to ya.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC