Ok, I've tried everything, now it's time to ask for some help!
I have a new home that's 4 yrs old... in Austin TX.
I have a laundry room that holds a washer/dryer, shelving and has extra space behind the door. I decided to install a front-opening freezer... new from Sears. I'm adding this because I don't know if it's related or not, but it's the only recent "change" in that room.
I started smelling a very strong musty, moldy odor in this room a few weeks after putting the freezer in. Trying a process of elimination, I've removed EVERYTHING from room: freezer, washer/dryer, all items on floor including rug and garbage basket, clothing, stuff on shelves. The room is now bare (and echoes!).
The smell remains.
I resealed the clean-out pipe with plumbers tape. Last night I sealed all "holes" with duct tape: all the power outlets, washer drainage hole, dryer outlet, ceiling fan vent, A/C vent... sealed up tight. Then I left the door open all night to air it out.
Closed the door this morning and within a few hours the smell was back.
There is no indication of mold on the walls, the vinyl flooring doesn't have any defects indicating water damage. No damage on the ceiling. No apparent mold in the attic or attic insulation. There was no liquid spillage from the washer or the freezer or anything else. There is no smell anywhere else. A closet and bedroom behind the laundry room have no smell.
So, any ideas would be greatly appreciated! The next step is calling out the "mold experts" but I'd like to solve this myself and avoid the high cost of that!
Thanks in advance!
O o /