> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > musty crawlspace
Login | Register

musty crawlspace

Posted by Angie Campbell on September 25th, 2001 09:22 PM

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

We just moved into an older home and every time we turn on the air conditioning there is a very strong musty odor coming through the vents. Apparently a water main broke and flooded the crawlspace last year. After that the landlord installed some kind of pump in the southwest corner of the crawl space to prevent future flooding I guess. Meanwhile I have gone down into the crawlspace to try and determine the source of the continuing odor. I hauled out a lot of moldy rotting wood and cardboard and noticed that the ductwork was also covered in mildew. So I cleaned that up and also opened up the crawlspace vents which had been boarded off. There are only two vents, which I know is not enough but since I rent I am not about to hire a contractor to put in more vents. Anyhow, after all this work, the smell seems to have improved but is still annoying. The HVAC system is in the middle of the crawlspace and I have noticed there is often a puddle of water near it as a result of water droplets coming off the unit and a great deal of condensation along the main supply duct. What can I do about this water accumulating on the dirt? What else can I do to get rid of the bad smell?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC